Saturday, August 25, 2012

And that's when I knew...it's alright now.

I guess it's time for a little confession of my own. ;)

Once upon a time, I was a ProFro.  I'm not quite a freshman, so this is about my only "good" "confession from Stanford"...so I'm going to make it count.

My first few minutes of Admit Weekend I was utterly bewildered.  Arriving in a place where everyone is incredibly talented and intelligent is a bit of a paradigm shift.  I was walking towards Memorial Auditorium with my parents wondering, "Will I ever be able to relax here?  Will I ever be able to let down my guard?"

And that's when I saw them.  There was a large group of students assembling on the sidewalk.  There were boys in prom dresses and "slutty" Halloween costumes.  Girls were dressed head to toe in neon, sparkles, and hats of all shapes and sizes.  One of the most remarkable individuals was a boy wearing seatless leather pants...and nothing else.
Oh, and everyone was holding musical instruments.

And then the stampede started.  The entire group ran screaming up the street and into the fountain in front of hundreds of ProFros and their families.  Trombonists hopped into the fountain and saxophonists danced in the bushes.  An explosion of high-decibel, high-tempo music came from the band.  It was different than any musical sound I've experienced.  The screaming fanfare of the trumpets, the blast from the tenor saxophones, and the high pitched runs from the piccolos(!!!!) could match that of any Big 10 marching band...however the sight and sound evoked the thrill and ecstasy of a rock concert.  I was enthralled, to say the very least.

Before spending a day on campus, I knew I had found a group of people that wordlessly called my name.

Get ready, Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band.  It's one month until frosh rehearsal, and I will be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment