Thursday, June 28, 2012

International Student represent! Winnie's Version

Greetings to whoever is reading this post right now : )
I am a graduate from a public high school in Taiwan.
I lived in California(on Stanford campus, to be exact) and zone 6 London for the first 7-8 years of my life; for the past 10 years I have been living in Taipei.

I play in competitive marching band, draw computer graphics, toured Europe, China, Korea with a semi-professional choir, and I play around with math competitions now and then.
I am a sci-fi and fantasy nerd, I was late for school around 30 times last semester, and I occasionally undertake weird projects in my room(such as sew 2 meter tall plushies, build lomo cameras) and drive my parents crazy.

In the future I hope to post about international student life at Stanford,
 as well as tips on how to manage entirely different curriculums that don't even use the same language (and still have a life.)
I'm sure there are a lot of high schoolers around the world that also dream of studying in an Awesome American University, but shrink back at the thought of doing work meant for two students living on different continents.
I wouldn't lie and say it's going to be easy, but it's definitely doable and not as daunting as it sounds!

Academics
I am fairly certain about majoring in Mathematics with an Art and Computer Science double minor:
from this you can probably gather that I don't have the faintest idea of a potential career.
I don't really mind though- I've recently chanced upon the term "intellectual magpie", and even though it probably has a negative meaning, it sums up my academic interests pretty nicely.
I have geniune interest in modern physics, international relations, humanitarism, architecture and the arts, but Mathematics and Visual Arts win over those fields by a margin, so.. ; )


Why I chose Stanford
My case is different from most people; I had only seriously considered MIT and Stanford. If I hadn't gotten into either, I would've probably stayed in my own country. Mainly because I was drawn to the flexibility of choosing courses, the sheer awesomness of the faculty and the sheer abundance of resources, and that Stanford and MIT seemed to have a sort of intellectual freshness and creativity that the prestigious but old(?)Ivies lacked- but that's just my opinion.
Then, Stanford ranked slightly higher in my mind due to non-academic reasons such as the weather and the Band.
(I'm a hardcore marching band fanatic, and even though LSJUMB isn't what you'd expect when you hear the term marching band, damn they are amazing.)
Also, as I mentioned in the beginning, my parents left Taiwan for grad school at Stanford when I was 2 years old, and I spent a large part of my childhood on campus, so that's another more personal reason.
I ended up being admitted to Stanford via SCEA-single choice early action, and it was an easy and almost instantaneous decision for me. I am sure I made the right choice, and I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences with you in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment