Wednesday, June 27, 2012

How I Came to Stanford (Eric Edition)

This is a bit about how one night I found myself running out of my room, screaming at the top of my lungs.

My Personal Introduction
I am a graduate of a large Houston area high school. I love to think, love to learn, and do whatever seems fun at the time (like paintball).

Academics
I plan on majoring in Geophysics, working towards a Master's degree (Doctorate's if I feel like it later). I plan on having a career involving energy production, natural gas specifically.

Why I chose Stanford
The decision process was quite slow in the beginning. Back in middle school, when we had no idea what college really was besides (so we thought) what smart people do to get smarter, I just though about whatever school was nearby. I moved around often, state to state, so my decision would go from UNC to USC to Duke to Harvard, to Texas Tech, to whatever school I heard about at the time. My mother, I think, mentioned Stanford one time in passing, a few days after I entered 9th grade if I remember correctly. This was still before I considered colleges in any depth. In 10th grade, I started looking into college more. I had decided Stanford was going to be on my list, but was still wondering about the University of Chicago, or USC, both of which I have cousins currently in attendance. By 11th grade, I had shortened my list to five schools, eliminating all Ivy league considerations because of the weather.When the fateful day came that I received the Stanford acceptance email, I didn't think twice about finishing the Chicago application. By then, I was sure it was where I wanted to go.

That's the basic story, compressed as well as I think I could. Just one piece of advice: try to be courteous to your neighbors. They might be distressed by the sound of an entire apartment's occupants screaming in unison.

~Eric Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment